Saturday, November 23, 2013

Good News/ Bad News

On Thursday I took the next step in the Umbra/Roger saga. I took Roger to the vet and my grandpa tagged along. There, we received some mixed results.

Bad News: Roger is a full pound overweight! Grandma was told to cut out the cheerios and corn and limit pellets and treats.

Good News: Despite being neglected he is in relatively good health: clean ears, no parasites, good teeth. Plus the vet thought he was very easy to handle.

More Bad News: Roger is in fact, not neutered.

Even More Bad New: Roger has been renamed Regina, because he is a she. And my grandpa is reluctant to shell out $200 for to have her spayed. The vet didn't stress having Regina fixed anyhow, noting the health and behavior benefits, but also seeing it as not essential as Regina is of an unknown age.

Also, there was some misunderstanding on my part, of what is known of recently redubbed Regina's past. She actually belonged to my step-uncle (not step great uncle). He was the 3rd or 4th owner of the rabbit. He also didn't have cats which former-Roger was friends with, but other rabbits (who I now feel are also in need of rescuing) who did not get along with him/her which is why he/she was passed off on my grandparents.

Some more good news would be that, although I have decided to forgo bonding, Regina is in a better home now. I even convinced my grandpa to allow her to move from the mudroom between the house and the garage into the spare bedroom.

I have also begun gathering supplies to make Regina a nice multi-level condo so that she can work some of that weight off.

So overall, yes I am disappointed that I will not be bonding Umbra anytime soon, but I am glad that Regina will stay with my grandma, who seems to have grown attached to her (she complained that my grandpa wont let her have a dog or lizards so I think she is happy to have a new animal in the house).

Despite this unexpected turn of events, I'm sure I will continue to update you on Regina.

4 comments:

  1. well its all good news really for Regina,and I'm sure another friend will come along for Umbra,xx Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are being very calm and flexible in the wild and wacky world of bunnies! And giving another one a nice home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, very proud of you for what are doing. And proud of grandparents for taking your advice.
    I have four rabbits, three girls and a boy. Except for the two big girls, they all get along great. I keep the big girls in seperate pens, but they are connected and they groom each other through the bars. The little lionhead girl can get inside either pen because she fits through the bars. And the boy is just happy to be humped all day by any or all of them.
    A bonded female pair would be fine. But as domineering as Umbra seems to be, a boy might be best for her. I notice that boy bunnies like to be dominated by the girls. That is just my experience, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA! Talk about an unexpected turn of events! I'm glad for Regina and your grandma :) Be sure to keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete