Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Pee-proof Hay Box Project

I forgot to mention that I finally got around to completing one of my summer projects!

In a previous post I linked a page on DIY multi-level bunny condos, and at the end was a nifty tip on how to keep your bun from using the hay manger as a litter box.

All it took was a dozen 4 in. bolts from a home improvement store and a power drill. Below is the end product and so far the hay has been pee free!!! This is especially good news since I'm having no luck finding a farmer who grows timothy. Just lots of alfalfa which is way to fattening.

Side note: because Umbra is a rex she is prone to fur loss on her feet causing callouses called "sore hock" this can be aggravated by moisture so I have since removed the manger from her litter box because she doesn't need to be spending leisure time with pee-pee-paws.

Also, Umbra had a little adventure the other day. While I was at work I got a text from my mom saying that Umbra had escaped her pen and that my mom could not catch her. I was frantic with worry for the next few hours. Luckily there was no damage to either rabbit or house so I couldn't be mad at Umbra for long.

3 comments:

  1. May be Umbra has picked up some Houdini tricks from Speedy.oh and your entry has been added,so good luck in the draw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! and shes always had her tricks. She just got out now as the internet guy was here. My mom had a fun time getting her back in the room (and that was just the first time it happened). Needless to say she isn't to happy with me, but I showed her how it's done the other day I accidently left my door open and when my mom alerted me to Umbras escape I just pointed at the door and told her to go to her room and she did. It couldn't have been a better moment for her to cooperate.

      Delete
  2. Hi Umbra and Kelish just to let you know you have won a award for the one lovely blog,come and see!

    ReplyDelete