Thursday, April 26, 2012

Mustard Greens

Umbra seemed to be bored of her usual Boston green lettuce so I've been trying to mix things up a bit. However, Umbra is just about the picky-ist  bun around. She took to kale pretty well (a pictured in a previous post) but last week I bought mustard greens.

She was pretty hesitant about eating them, but would get around to it eventually, until yesterday, when she refused to touch them. So I made a trip to Marsh to pick up some lettuce more to her liking, and gave my roommate the mustard greens... and she found out why Umbra didn't like them... they taste like spicy mustard. I guess that makes sense.

5 comments:

  1. Try her on spinach,chard,rocket and a mix of fresh cut herbs:parsley,basil,tarragon and coriander fresh cut herbs are good for thier digestive system.Buns shouldn't have to much lettuce as it contains laudernam which gives them poop problems.try not to give her to much kale or other cabbage type greens either as it has high calcium levels in it which gives alot of white sediment in their pee and if they don't flush it out of their bladder can cause bladder stones and bladder infections.Hope this helps.from Speedys mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! Ill give those a try. She's had parsley, mint and basil before. She wasn't crazy about them about them but she would eat them. I was serious when I said I have the worlds pickyist bun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speedy is a little picky at first but once he gets used to some thing new theres no stopping him,when I tried him on the tarragon the first time he turned his nose up at it but I left in his pen and in the morning he had eaten it all as well as his other greens and now he quite likes it.when I do his greens he eats all the herbs first

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's how Umbra is. I did try to grow some mint (for people purposes) but they never sprouted. I don't have the green thumb in my family, that's my mom. But I will be back home for the summer and my mom has a herb garden: 2 varieties of mint, basil and lemon tyme. We also have a patch of lettuce and some raspberries. We used to have a whole garden but the ground squirrels and wild bunnies would always get to it before we did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds lovely I am sure umbra will love it

    ReplyDelete