Thursday, April 5, 2012

Thoughts on "Pets with Spunk" Article

A few days ago I read an article titled "Want a Pet with Spunk and Character? Bunnies Have it All!". Overall I enjoyed the story and could relate to the fellow bun owners who were quoted, and I'm sure that all you other rabbit lovers out there would like it as well. However I do have some concerns with this article.

First off, the author did a wonderful job highlighting all the great things about owning a rabbit. I too once thought that rabbits were pretty much all the same; quiet, shy and boring. I know differently now that I have a house rabbit. I emphasize house because I previously had rabbits kept outside in a hutch where their distinct personalities could not be appreciated.

So I know you're thinking, "ok, well that's all fine and dandy, what was it that you didn't like?" Well in a way what I liked was also what I didn't. This article hardly touched on all the hard work that goes into caring for a rabbit. Besides mentioning that rabbits need a few hours out of the cage for exercise each day, very little was said about the reasons NOT to get a bunny.

Now before you attack me over that last sentence, I am all for rabbits! I love mine to death, but it takes a very specific person to be "rabbit person" and I wish that the author would have gone more in-depth on the subject.

My second objection to this article is the date it was published (April 2nd), within a week of Easter. I can only hope that readers are not persuaded to buy an "Easter bunny" on account of this article.

On the bright side, another article, to which the first was linked, addresses all the problems that I had with the first. It is titled "10 Things to Consider Before Bringing Home That Easter Bunny". Unfortunately, I don't trust most people to inspect the link in the original article (or the links to HRS), but I guess I'll have to try and have some faith in humanity and continue to educate everyone I can about the 3rd most relinquished pet in the U.S.

One last thing. I know the picture above has caused to controversy in the rabbit community. The feeling is that this gives rabbits a bad rap. I believe the maker of this card meant well because it is very true about many rabbits bought for children, however, we must remember that this is not the rabbit's fault. When taken care of properly by people who are patient and understanding of rabbits' nature, a bun can be a wonderful companion.

No comments:

Post a Comment