Friday, June 14, 2013

More on Umbra's Ears

I attempted to take a video to demonstrate the condition of Umbra's ears, but she has never cared to be on the big screen (or any screen). I will try again later, maybe I just need to be stealthier, because she seems to especially enjoy a nice ear scritch when they get all flaky.

I did dig up a Medirabbit.com post I saw last year which seems to be the same as what Umbra experiences. It doesn't give much explanation, other than I'm not the only one who has seen this. I think it is safe to say that it will be a regular occurrence during the summer molt. When I had the vet check for fur mites last year (what I thought the symptoms pointed to in my limited experience), he likened it to something called "slipping" in chinchillas, possibly brought on by hormone imbalance from her recent spay. However, more than a year after spay, I think it is safe to say that it is not the cause, but I am none too worried, although last time I thought Umbra's ears would be bald forever, I now know better.

2 comments:

  1. I think what happens to their ears is,the ears are their cooling system they fill them with blood so the blood loses heat but thet have the winter fur on them so more blood goes to the ears which streches the skin a little the fur starts to molt the ear cooling system goes back to normal but leave a layer of dead skin cells from the extra expansion from try to keep cool and then this comes off as dry flakes till the ears have finish their molting cycle and the new finer fur has grown in its place,Speedy has started this but in his case the dark chocolate points grow back much lighter in colour too until the fall then he sheds again and the dark colour comes back for the winter again,xxRachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are fortunate - no ear issues.

    ReplyDelete