Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Stitches Update

Had one of my roommates help me bandage Umbra up to keep her from messing with her stitches. The HRS article I posted earlier in the week recommended you do this with a small wash cloth and some elastic bandage (like what an athlete would use to wrap an ankle).

I have been trying to avoid handling Umbra (not that she's been letting me), but when I managed to catch her I saw that she had already removed most of the stitches! There was only one intact as far as I could tell. Obviously her organs are still in their rightful place, but after wrapping her (and giggling some because it looks like she's wearing a little bunny corset) I called my vet. Luckily they have someone manning the phones 24/7 in case of emergency.

I was told I'm doing everything I should since the wound seems to be healing well (and rapidly, I can't believe it's closed up in less than a week!) just to keep an eye on her and keep her confined and handled gently.

So I suppose all is well, but I will still have trouble sleeping and I'm sure this event has furthered injured Umbra's trust in me. It won't help that on Friday I will begin spring break and Umbra will be going with my mom and I to visit my brother (an hour drive) and from there back to my hometown for the rest of the week (another 4 hour drive.. did I mention how much rabbits hate to travel?).

On the bright side, it doesn't look like Umbra will need a second trip to the vet when I return to Indy after spring break, because she has taken it upon herself to play doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment